What NOT to packPosted: April 11, 2011
I love packing. I don’t know what it is, but I just love it. Whenever my parents are going on vacation, I call my mom up and tell her I will help her pack. Here is my list of items you should NOT pack:
1. Hair Dryer – pretty much all hotels have this covered. There is no sense in bringing along your personal hair dryer. It takes up space and it’s just not needed.
2. Big Shampoo Bottles – if you’re a frequent traveler like myself, you can buy travel size containers to put your shampoo, conditioner, lotion, moisturizer, etc. I personally don’t like the hotel shampoos. I have naturally curly hair so I need my hair products. I transfer them into my travel sized containers. Less space and less weight.
3. Too many shoes – all you really need is one pair of good walking shoes and one shoe you can wear at night. That’s all you need ladies! No need for a carry on for just shoes.
4. Lots of clothes – If you think back to all the vacations you’ve taken, I’m sure there are a few items of clothing that you did not wear. You don’t need your full wardrobe. I went to Asia with just a backpack and small duffel bag as a carry on. This is what I took on my trip:
2 pairs of pants, 5 tops, two cardigans, and two shorts, a bathing suit and a cotton dress.
Some of the clothes I packed, I knew I wasn’t going to bring them back (I had planned to leave some clothes behind). This allowed me to shop for new items and not add more weight to my luggage.
5. Lots of books – If you can afford to get one, invest in an ebook or an ipad. It will take up less space and you have access to an insane amount of books.
6. Towel – I used to pack a full size towel whenever I went on vacation, but I no longer do that. If you want to use your own towel, I would suggest to purchase a travel size towel. I bought one for my Asia trip, just to try it out and it wasn’t too bad. It took up less space, and it worked. You can check your local outdoor store for travel towels. I purchased mine at Atmosphere. Or you can always air dry 🙂
If you have any suggestions of what not to pack, let me know. Would love to hear your suggestions!
Maybe one day, I’ll be like Rolf and not pack anything!
update: I did pack underwear and socks too…didn’t include that, but figured that’s a given!